Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Trials of Growing Up

Three things that have recently made my parents disappointed in me:

  1. My first fender bender
  2. Two lovely little parking tickets
  3. The discovery of a few photographs revealing the consumption of a certain sort of "beverage" by several of my friends. Fortunately, I was excluded from the partaking of this beverage, but nevertheless the situation was presented in such a way as to make me look less than perfect.

Why is it that every time I feel as though I have progressed foward enough in my life to be taken seriously enough to almost be considered semi-adult, something happens to halt the advancement?

Why?

Why?

Why?

I had an incredible semester last semester. I had a little job, I made great grades, I did well with my money, I learned how to live on my own, I learned how to deal with Birmingham traffic, I learned how to cook and clean and get along with my roommates... the list goes on. For the first time in my life, I felt like the parents treated me differently. There was a level of trust, respect, and pride that I had never experienced before generating from them. We actually, *gasp* GOT ALONG!

What is it that those peppy little optimistic people always say: "With the sun, comes the rain?" Or is it: "You will never appreciate the good things in life if you do not experience hard work and mistakes first?"

Even if my rational better judgement assumes these statements to hold some accuracy, I still can not help but be a little blue today. This stage of my life has proven to be the most difficult after all. To quote Mrs. Britney Spears Federline, "I'm not a girl, not yet a woman."

Okay, you can all quit laughing and making fun of me for making a Britney Spears reference now.

I realize that later in life I will look back at this time period when I was supported completely financially and still enjoyed almost complete freedom, and I will laugh at myself for not being content. BUT I will be foolish and young for the moment, because all I want as of this very instant is to be done with childhood right now. This isn't so much to ask. We are the generation of instant gratification after all, are we not?

Someone say something nice to me, please.

6 Comments:

At 4:19 PM , Blogger Audra said...

Carrie, don't try to grow up too fast! That's what happened to me... HAD to get out, HAD to be a grownup, HAD to be by myself because I WAS A GROWNUP. Now I'm going back to college because I miss being careless so much. Also I miss sleeping.

 
At 4:19 PM , Blogger Audra said...

My bad... I'm holding an adult beverage in my profile picture... is that going to get you in trouble? :)

 
At 4:26 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Audra is funny.

Carrie, try not to let the parents' recent disappointment with you get you down too much. Too often they expect perfection and we all know we can never give them that. Being a young adult means doing careless, inconsiderate, and experimental things sometimes. Believe me, to a certain extent mom and dad did this stuff too. They just don't tell us about it or maybe they've conveniently forgotten.

It will all be okay. Unless you move with your half-black boyfriend to Texas and then get married. They hate that shit.

Congratulations on all the personal growth you HAVE achieved.

 
At 5:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mosty ditto Kate's comment, but please do try keeping the careless and experimental to a bare minimum. Just be smart and true to yourself.

 
At 4:42 PM , Blogger Carrie said...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

Audra, I know that I shouldn't be wishing my life and to enjoy the moment. I try to, but I guess I was just having a down day. By the way, I tried to get to your blog and it wouldn't let me. When I click on your name, it will go to your profile, but there is no blog listed where there is usually a blog listed. Maybe, I am just being computer retarded again.

Kate, I need to talk to you about the trip, so next time we are on the phone, remind me!

Leighann, we are just alike!!! See you at the concert on Sat!!! I love you! :)

Thanks again. I just had a bad day and it was good to get some encouragement. :)

 
At 5:28 PM , Blogger Wirthy said...

Don't have photographic evidence of your "crimes." It can only come back to haunt you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home