Sunday, March 06, 2005

An Update

I saw Cowboy Mouth in concert at Workplay last Thursday. It was an excellent show. There was plenty of fun to be had that night. Workplay is a neat place to those who haven't had the opportunity of an experience. I would highly recommend it. I have been to see many a band there.

Late night concert going resulted in extreme sleepiness on Friday, but I pulled myself together and headed off to camp for Fun Fish Weekend. Let me tell you, it was not as fun as it sounds! We had to get up at 5:30 every day and spent two four-hour shifts out on the lake fishing. That's definitely a new experience for me. The first half of Saturday I got pretty good campers. I also got to hang out with and catch up with another counselor from last summer. I had the pleasure of fishing off of a pontoon. It was warm and nice. After lunch, I was paired with a male camper who hates females. So that was interesting. We had the extreme luck to score a real fishing boat this time. Then the sun disappeared, the wind began to howl, and the water churned white caps. But Fun Fish Weekend ONLY HAPPENS ONCE! So, we sucked it up and headed out. My camper, Doug, generally ignored me and rolled his eyes at any attempt I made to establish some sort of communication between us. He slipped up after two hours, however, when I mentioned that I did not like broccoli.

"Just because the former President Bush of the United States, the dad of the President Bush now, doesn't like broccoli doesn't mean you shouldn't."

Yeah, who knew you could get a girl-hating camper to talk about broccoli. After that, we a had a good time. Doug likes baseball and football, but not soccer or basketball. He doesn't have any females in his family.

"But, Doug, didn't you say you lived with your Mom and Dad?"
"Yeah."
"Your Mom's a female."
*Eyes roll* "You know what I mean."

The rest of the weekend was spent sniffling and coughing. I am a sick girl. Today I began to blow wads of blood. It looks like the doctor's office will be blessed with my presence tomorrow.

I left camp early this morning to get inducted into an honor's society. It was nice to be recognized for all of this hard work I am doing here. It felt like high school again. You know, when you get recognized for even coming to school. The parents + brother+ boyfriend were all in attendence. It was a nice little ceremony with a speaker and certificates and even candles. Maybe it would have been better if I had not slept through the speaker though. Hmmm....

Then the parents took me out to eat. Very nice nowadays to be taken out to eat. I really am in shock at how much I have managed to spend here. My savings are shrinking at a faster rate than I had ever planned.

I am feeling very optimistic and good right now. I have a good family who supports me. I had a nice weekend outdoors in fresh air. For once, I did not have to breathe car fumes and had no trouble carrying a conversation due to the lack of blaring horns/sirens. Though I am, without a doubt, sicker for it, I enjoyed my weekend outdoors. I got to see some old campers again that I remember from Dadeville camp. My favorite, Lera Bell, provided much needed entertainment for me for most of the weekend. I also got some well deserved recognition for my accomplishments. Now, I have had a lot of fun here during my first year of college. I would say that I have managed to squeeze in just about as much fun as any other freshman. And it most certainly is an accomplishment to keep those grades up while having that much fun, I must say. Anyone who can make A's after having to deal with all of the crazy adjustments I have, I applaud.

I am feeling nice and safe and carefree for the moment. It has been a good weekend.

8 Comments:

At 11:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for Fun Fishing Weekend!

Love,
Denise

 
At 11:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for Fun Fishing Weekend!

Love,
Denise

 
At 5:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for the honor society induction and, more to the point, the reason for being so honored!
(Take care of the bloody snot situation ... please!)

 
At 10:27 AM , Blogger Kate said...

Dude, I've been reading your blog. I check it, like, every day. Congrats on the honor stuff, and I hope you continue to feel better. There will be absolutely NO getting sick when you come visit me in May.

 
At 10:27 AM , Blogger Kate said...

Dude, I've been reading your blog. I check it, like, every day. Congrats on the honor stuff, and I hope you continue to feel better. There will be absolutely NO getting sick when you come visit me in May.

 
At 10:28 AM , Blogger Kate said...

Sorry I commented twice. Blogger was acting crazy.

 
At 10:29 AM , Blogger Kate said...

Sorry I commented twice. Blogger was acting crazy.

 
At 5:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Yay for the honor society induction and, more to the point, the reason for being so honored!
(Take care of the bloody snot situation ... please!)

3:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home