Sunday, January 09, 2005

Big City, Country Girl

I am officially back in Birmingham after a lovely Christmas break. I feel rested and ready to rejoin the absolute chaos that accompanies living in a city and attending college. However, this first weekend I decided to celebrate the new semester by taking a trip back in time with my friend Leighann.

The weekend commenced with a monster truck show Friday night at the BJCC Arena. I have never seen so many camouflaged-clad, boot bearing red-necks in downtown Birmingham at one time. It was spectacular. The first truck that jumped the cars initiated blood-curdling screams from Leighann and me. There is something so unnatural and frightening about a truck that enormous flying through the air. We were terrified, though somewhat exhilerated by the sight of it. Later we would laugh at ourselves for being wimps in front of the millions of children under the age of ten that seemed completely unaffected.

Saturday consisted of visiting with another counselor from camp on his farm in Clay County. Though I am a native of Alexander City, I have never participated in the one activity that basically defines small town recreation-- mudriding. Leighann and I convinced our host to take us. I must admit that as the three of us bounced and splashed down muddy back roads, I had the most fun that I've had in a long time. Climbing down from the truck, I took in the view. I really looked at the stars sparkling and swirling in the never-ending, black sky, I really smelled the crisp country air, I heard the voices of every night creature, and I thought to myself, "This is heaven on earth."

I love city life. I wear my bling, my heels, and my make-up. I get my hair did, I walk through the busy streets laughing, and I dance the night away. I've worked hard to transform my life. I constantly feel the desire to move up and out. There is a better life out there than the one that was forced on me from infancy. But it seems that no matter how hard I try to forget where I've come from, there is always something that happens every once in awhile to remind me that there is a part of me that will always be that shy little country girl from a teeny town that no one's heard of. And though it doesn't seem glamorous or exciting, there is a tiny recurring thought that perhaps I might finally find the self-fulfillment that I've been searching for by relaxing on the front porch on a sunny day in the country.

3 Comments:

At 6:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

For sure ... the French or Italian countryside. Think more expansively ... why not?

 
At 11:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not so much a comment on your blog as just the syntax. Hooray for good typings skills and functional grammar. Major cool points for that :)

Oh, in case you're wondering, my name is Adam and I got here from facebook.

No, I'm not a crazy stalker guy, just curious about a pretty girl I saw on the internet. ^_^

 
At 6:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya! The longer and longer I stay away from home, the more I appreciate going horseback riding with Daddy, having massive barbecues with the family, going to wrestle my uncle's baby cows, and seeing cowboy hats and boots everyday. I even find myself tuning into a country radio station on my way home a lot of times.

Love ya,
Denise

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home